Monday, October 16, 2006

Blog Hara-Kiri

NOT across the road, DOWN the highway!

"I gotta go........"

Looks like Right Wing Sparkle is throwing in the towel. I think she is an excellent writer and her opinions often dovetail nicely with mine; however, I think her valedictory smacks of martyrdom.




"When I discovered blogging it was a way to share my political views and my faith. I never had a tip jar or asked for money because just you reading me and giving me a voice was all I needed to write.

But after the Houston Chronicle asked me to blog and then Michelle Malkin asked me to video blog at HotAir, I realized that this blog had become more about me than about what was important to me.

The times in my life when I have been the happiest have been when things were about others and not about me.

So I have to go."
Come on! If you feel the compelling need to quit, just delete the damned thing and walk away from it. A short and sweet "I'm done blogging. Goodbye, all" would suffice.

Blogs are generally "about me". People plaster their opinions and thoughts online like monkeys flinging feces at the zoo (cf. ME). It's meant to draw attention to one's self. If people take a little bit of time from their day to read your posts, comment, debate, and exchange ideas, great! That's how it works. Please spare me the self-sacrificing "Goodbye, this is making me selfish" bushwa.

Yes, RWS is a great woman, involved in her community, with a genuine care and concern for others. She, unlike so many others, can afford a little bit of self-congratulatory chest-thumping.

There's nothing wrong with a little self-promotion (for example, THIS fine blog), so I don't see what the problem is, unless she's spending 18 hours a day pecking away at her blog console or Blackberry and neglecting her personal life. In that case, put down the keyboard and find another hobby/pet cause.

Meanwhile I'll happily carry on as a smug, self-absorbed, highly opinionated son of a bitch. With MAYBE 10 hits a day as opposed to RWS's thousands. I don't give a damn for traffic, it's not as though I'm trying to make any money off this via ads or broker a book deal. Who in their right mind would publish my tub-thumping rants anyway?

No comments: