Saturday, January 20, 2007

Mobile Causeway 20 JAN 07

Huff Huff Huff

Hey, it's Saturday and the weather was relatively warm. You know what that means: Time for more paddling.

The incoming tide was a royal pain in the ass on the way out, roaring along at 1.5 to 2 knots through Pass Picada. Progress outbound was slow, to say the least. I averaged 2.5 miles per hour on the way out and 4.8 miles per hour on the way back with that same tidal current pushing me along. It was tough going, covering 7.3 miles in two hours. Comical too, paddling like hell through Pass Picada, yet making little to no headway as I passed fishermen and onlookers at the Oyster House's new digs and at the Bluegill restaurant. Thank God that the pass is not very long. It's the narrow choke-point through which the tide flows into a relatively isolated section of the Tensaw delta, so the currents are very strong during ebbs and flows. Once I was clear of the pass the current slowed appreciably, and I rounded the point by Trader's to paddle up the other side of the causeway, turning around near Ed's.

I could tell I haven't been out in a week, it was a tiring paddle:

No comments: